Proof of Insurance for J-2 Dependents
By U.S. federal law, all J-2 dependents of J-1 students are required to have insurance coverage throughout the duration of the J-1 students J program. Any J-1 student that willfully fails to maintain health insurance as prescribed below shall be subject to termination as a student.
J-1 students must have insurance which meets the Kansas Board of Regents minimum insurance requirements as specified on ISS’s Insurance Requirement website.
Dependents of J-1 students must have insurance which meets the U.S. State Department minimum insurance requirements.
Submit proof of insurance for J-2 Dependents by each semester deadline by logging into iHawk Portal with your KU online ID and password.
Minimum health insurance coverage requirements for J-2 dependents:
- Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per person per accident or illness
- Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000
- Expenses associated with medical evacuation in the amount of $50,000
- A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness
- Co-insurance up to 25%
- Must be underwritten by an insurance company that meets the rating requirements of the USIA or is backed by the full faith and credit of your home government
J-1 students must submit documentation showing their J-2 dependents have insurance coverage which meets the minimum health insurance coverage requirements listed above by uploading the insurance ID card(s) and Certificate(s) of Coverage, which shows your dependents’ names, policy/group numbers, and dates of coverage for each J-2 dependent.
- Proof of J-2 Dependents insurance documentation must be submitted by logging into iHawk Portal with your KU online ID and password.
- Click on “Insurance and Finances” from the left-side panel.
- Click on “Student Health Insurance”.
- And then click on “Proof of Insurance for J-2 Dependents”.
- Upload your proof of insurance documents
- Insurance identification card, (front and back) and Certificate of Coverage that shows the name, policy/group number, and dates of coverage (Fall: 08/01/2023-12/31/2023. Spring: 01/01/2024-05/31/2024.Summer: 06/01/2024-07/31/2024.) for each dependent.
- A full insurance policy, or Summary of Benefits and Coverage (SBC) that shows all the minimum J-2 health insurance requirements are met.
- If the health insurance policy does not provide coverage of Emergency Evacuation and Repatriation, you may purchase a standalone Emergency Evacuation and Repatriation policy and upload a copy of the policy showing the name of dependent, policy/group number, and dates of coverage.
- Submit proof of insurance for J-2 Dependents by each semester deadline
- Fall 2023 semester - deadline is August 21, 2023
- Spring 2024 semester - deadline is January 16, 2024
- Summer 2024 semester - deadline is June 4, 2024