Extend Your J-1 Program
Always maintain a valid DS-2019 during your stay in the U.S. The ending date in item #3 on your DS-2019 is the date by which you are expected to complete your studies.
For students with a DS-2019 issued by a program sponsor other than KU (ex. IIE, LASPAU, Fulbright), please contact your sponsor to request your extension.
Any J-1 student who is pursuing a full course of study and maintaining satisfactory advancement toward the completion of his/her program.
When to Apply for an Extension
If you need more time to complete your degree or program beyond the date in item #3, please submit the DS-2019 Extension Request. Extensions should be processed before the completion date on your current DS-2019. We recommend that you submit your extension paperwork within the semester that your DS-2019 expires.
How to Apply for an Extension
This only applies to students whose current DS-2019 is issued by KU. If your DS-2019 is NOT issued by KU, please contact your program sponsor about the DS-2019 extension process.
Log into iHawk and complete the "DS-2019 Extension" e-forms under "J-1 Student Services" - BOTH parts are required
Departmental contact's name and email address – meet with your departmental contact regarding the DS-2019 extension request you are about to submit. Please use the following to identify the department of the appropriate contact person:
- Study Abroad Exchange Students - Study Abroad and Global Engagement office
- Kansai Exchange Students – International Short Programs office
- Grad Direct Exchange and semester/academic year-long Kanagawa – Study Abroad and Global Engagement office
- All others – Academic advisor
The contact you indicate on the e-form will receive an email and will need to verify the reason for and length of extension requested.
- KU Funding: If you are receiving any exchange agreement benefits, have a GA/GRA/GTA, Lecturer position, fellowship or departmental scholarship, you must provide the name and email address of the departmental staff person who can verify the salary and benefit information.
- Other Funding: Upload evidence of financial support for the entire length of the requested extension period. For the minimum amount, refer to your specific major/program in Estimated Cost of Attendance (include dependent expenses if applicable).
After e-form Submission
Once your submitted request is ready for processing, you will receive an email from ISS to schedule an APPOINTMENT with an ISS immigration advisor to review and process your request. Learn how to schedule an appointment on our website.
Important if you Work On-Campus After Extension
Take a copy of your newly extended DS-2019 and your new J-1 on-campus work permit to your HR Specialist at your appropriate Shared Service Center.