How to Apply for a Visa

Non-Immigrant Visa Application

Complete the State Department's Online Non-immigrant Visa Application (DS-160) which is the first step in making your visa appointment.

Make your Visa Appointment

Go to the link for the embassy or consulate where you will apply for a visa to learn about scheduling a visa appointment, procedures and requirements specific to its location.

Prepare and Complete your Required Documents

  1. Passport (valid for at least six months beyond the date of travel to the U.S.)
  2. DS-160 confirmation page with your application ID number on it
  3. Valid DS-2019
  4. SEVIS Fee Receipt
  5. University of Kansas invitation letter
  6. Financial documentation
  7. DS-7002 (only if you are a coming to KU under a J-1 Student Intern Category)

Additional documents if your spouse or children will be applying for a J-2 dependent visa

  1. Dependent's COE (J-2 form DS-2019)
  2. Dependent's proof of relationship (marriage or birth certificate)
  3. Copy of your visa page in passport, only if you're already in the U.S. before your dependent joins you
  4. Copy of your I-94 arrival/departure record, only if you're already in the U.S. before your dependent joins you

What to Expect at Visa Appointment

Interview are very short, so it's important to use the limited time to clearly explain your purpose for going to the United States.

Most non-immigrant visas require you to establish that you are going to the U.S. only for a temporary purpose, and do not intend to stay permanently.

You need to show:

  • that you will keep a residence abroad and expect to return there
  • personal, professional, and financial ties to your home country

Ink-free, digital fingerprint scans will be taken as part of your application process. They are usually taken during your interview, but this varies based on location.

After your visa interview, the consular officer will let you know if further processing is necessary for your application.

Review the Department of State's (DOS) web information on further administrative processing. If your visa processing is delayed, it is important to notify both your academic department and our office.

Receive and Review your Entry Visa

Please review the visa stamp in your passport. If there are any issues, please contact the embassy/consulate that issued the visa stamp with the error. Make sure you upload a copy of your new visa stamp to your iHawk account.

J exchange visitors: Your original DS-2019 should be returned to you. You will need to have it with you to show when you arrive at a U.S. port of entry.