J-1 Student Employment Options

On Campus Employment

On campus employment is defined as employment which occurs on KU campus. Positions include teaching assistantships, research assistantships, and student hourly employment (KU Dining Services, Library, etc). Note: International Students are not eligible for Student Work Study positions.


J-1 students may engage in employment if:

  • Student is in good academic standing
  • Student continues to engage in a full course of study while school is in session
  • The ISS advisor or designated program sponsor has approved the specific employment in advance and in writing.

Hours Allowed

J-1 students are eligible to work on campus a maximum of 20 hours per week during the Fall and Spring academic semesters. During breaks and official school vacation periods, J-1 students are eligible to work more than 20 hours per week on campus. A student who has a valid DS-2019 and intends to enroll for the next regular term may work on-campus.

Please note that on-campus employment is not permitted after completion of a degree or program unless the student has been issued a DS-2019 to begin a new academic program or has been granted Academic Training.


Once an on campus job is obtained, the student (with a DS-2019 issued by KU) should go to iHawk and complete an On-Campus Work Permit Request (J-1), under J-1 Student Services. An email will be sent by the ISS office to the student once the employment authorization form is ready to be picked up.

Students with a DS-2019 issued by a program sponsor other than KU (i.e. IIE, LASPAU, Department of State) need to contact their program sponsor for the work permit.

Off Campus Employment

Academic Training

Academic training is an opportunity for J-1 exchange students to participate in temporary professional training activities (paid or unpaid) related to their academic program. It may be engaged in either during or after completion of the period of study.

Economic Hardship

Off-campus employment may be possible because of serious, urgent and unforeseen economic circumstances arising since acquiring exchange visitor status. Student must be in good academic standing, continue to engage in a full course of study while school in session, and sponsored by KU.