End of the Spring 2024 Semester Reminders

Please review important End of the Semester Reminders​ below regarding:

  • Immigration Documents (Expiring, starting a new program, or dismissal)
  • Travel (Short-term OR leaving the U.S. and not returning)
  • Work (On-Campus during break, AT, and OPT)

Immigration Documents

Is your I-20 or DS-2019 expiring?

Apply for an extension BEFORE the expiration date on your I-20 or DS-2019 if you have not finished your program. Failure to extend your I-20 or DS-2019 is a violation of legal status. Submit the appropriate extension request in iHawk AND follow ISS instructions to get the extension processed by May 31, 2024.

Are you starting a new program at KU?

F-1 students beginning a new degree next semester at KU must get a new I-20 within 60 days of finishing their current program.  J-1 students need a new DS-2019 before their current one expires, or within 30 days of finishing their current program – whichever date is earlier.

Do you plan to transfer to a new school?

F-1 and J-1 students wanting to continue or begin a new degree at another school must have their SEVIS record electronically transferred to the new school. This process can be completed only after you are admitted to the new school.  Transfers cannot be approved later than 60 days after the program completion date (for F 1 students) and later than 30 days after the program completion date (for J-1 students). Please submit a transfer out request in iHawk, in the “Leaving KU” task.

Have you been dismissed from your program?

If you are in F-1 status and are being dismissed from KU for academic reasons, you have 21 days from the date of your dismissal to be admitted and transfer your SEVIS record to another institution OR be admitted to another program at KU. You should complete the appropriate form in iHawk to request the transfer out, and meet with an ISS advisor during drop-in advising hours.


Are you traveling internationally over Summer Break?

Please read about documents needed while traveling and for re-entry. F-1 & J-1 students can request an electronic travel signature through iHawk under Student Services. Electronic travel signatures will be ready in 5 business days. You can also bring your I-20 or your DS-2019* to ISS for a physical travel signature. Your document will be ready for pick up after 2 business days. 

*Students with a DS-2019 issued by a sponsor other than KU will need to obtain the signature from their program sponsor noted in section #2 of the DS-2019.

Are you leaving the U.S. and not returning?

If you will graduate this semester and will leave the U.S., please submit the “Exit Form” e-form in iHawk under "Leaving KU". Students are allowed a grace period to depart the U.S. following completion of studies at KU - officially May 31 for Spring, August 1 for Summer, or December 31 for Fall graduates. Non-degree students will need to check their DS-2019 form for their specific end date.

If planning to leave the U.S. without graduating, students should complete the “Leaving KU” (Withdrawing from/Leaving KU Before Finishing Program) e-form through iHawk​.


On-Campus Work

According to immigration laws, F-1 students (and J-1 students with written authorization) are allowed to work full-time on campus when school is not in session (starting Stop Day May 3 through August 25). During a split week, where school is still in session on some days, those days are limited to your normal part-time hours. On the days that are officially considered break, you may work full time ON-CAMPUS.

J-1 Academic Training

If you are graduating this semester, you must submit a request for Academic Training in iHawkand receive approval within 30 days of the end date of the DS-2019 form.

F-1 Optional Practical Training

If you are graduating this semester, then you must request an OPT I-20 and submit I-765 application to USCIS within 60 days of your program completion date. In most cases, the completion date is May 31 for Spring graduates and December 31 for Fall graduates.


If you have questions, please contact or call 785-864-3617.