When to Call 911
The emergency phone number in the United States is 911.
Police - If you should see someone committing a crime, a person who is about to commit a crime, or a crime has already occurred.
Fire - On all actual fires, smell of smoke or gas, or if you should see smoke rising from an object that is on fire.
Medical - If a person should need immediate medical attention.
Important Steps When you Call
- Give the location of the emergency.
- State what type of emergency that you have.
- Give the person on the phone (the dispatcher) your name.
- Give the dispatcher your phone number and what location you are calling from if it differs from the location of the emergency.
Non-Emergency Telephone Numbers If you have a non-emergency situation, call 785-864-5900 or 785-864-5913. If you would like to report a crime anonymously, call KU Crime Stoppers at 785-864-8888. You can anonymously provide information that may lead to the arrest of suspects who have committed a crime.
Common Safety Tips
- Become familiar with your neighborhood
- Walk with confidence and be aware of your surroundings
- Do not walk alone at night
- Keep apartment/house doors locked at all times
- Do not leave valuables in view inside a vehicle
- Never leave valuables unattended
- Use a bicycle lock
- Wear a bicycle helmet and travel with traffic