International Student Orientation
Spring 2024 International Student Orientation
Register for Orientation
- After receiving the registration email from ISS, go to iHawk.
- Click on the blue LOGIN button.
- Log in with your KU Online ID.
- Having iHawk login problems?
- Once logged in, on your iHawk Home page scroll down to "Requests" and click on the "ISS Check-in Checklist".
- Start with the "Orientation" section.
- Submit the "Orientation Registration" e-form. You should do this as soon as possible. Select your start term above for more detailed information about your registration options and benefits.
- Complete the e-forms under the "ISS Check-In" section on the checklist.
You must arrive by your report date, found on the immigration document produced by KU (I-20, DS-2019, etc.).
For Spring 2024, all students (graduate & undergraduate) must arrive by January 08, 2024.
- Graduate Students working as a GTA/GRA/GA: If you do not have a Social Security Number (SSN), your suggested arrival date is January 4, 2024, to be able to have enough time to apply for a SSN. Please plan finances accordingly. Review the New International Graduate Assistants page if you need to apply for SSN.
Your introduction to KU
International Student Orientation (ISO) is a comprehensive program consisting of two parts: an online, pre-arrival component and a weeklong, in-person portion. It is designed to help new international students enroll and prepare for life at KU and in the United States. All new international students are required to register for and participate in ISO.
Begin your Journey
Before arrival on campus
After registering for orientation in iHawk, you will receive access to an orientation course in Canvas (one of KU’s online learning management systems) for you to complete on your own schedule. The course includes detailed instructions for how to complete pre-enrollment requirements, meet with an academic advisor, and enroll.
- Complete the Canvas course as soon as possible to receive a priority enrollment appointment.
- Secure your housing on or off-campus.
- Book your transportation from the airport to the campus on Monday, January 8th! (Select the "Winter" break option & provide your flight details. You will be contacted by KU Transportation with more information.)
You Have Arrived
By this point, you will have spent the last few months learning about how to be successful academically as well as preparing for the cultural shift of living in a new country. Upon your arrival, there will be large welcome events, fun social outings where you will meet your peers, as well as a mandatory ISS check-in, 'Staying Legal' Presentation, health screening, and English language assessments for those that need it. You will have the opportunity to see where your classes are, hear from different organizations on campus, and meet some of your professors.