Newly Admitted Student Checklist

KU professor teaching two female students.

Setup your KU ID

When you are admitted to KU you will be given a KU ID number. You will use this number to create your KU ID. You will need to setup your KU ID to login to your iHawk account.

Setup KU ID instructions

Where do I find my KU ID?

Your Student ID Number is the unique identification number assigned to you upon admission. Your Student ID Number is called your “KU ID Number”.

Monitor KU Email

We recommend that you get in the habit of checking your KU email address often. Most correspondence from KU will go to your KU email address! In addition, all instructions to get your I-20/DS-2019 will be sent to your KU and personal email addresses. We will also send you orientation and arrival emails in the days and weeks prior to your arrival. 

I-20 or DS-2019 form

A Form I-20 immigration document is required for an F-1 student visa. A Form DS-2019 immigration document is required for a J-1 exchange visa. All new international students will complete forms in iHawk, which ISS will review to see if you will need a Form I-20 or Form DS-2019. 

Request your I-20/DS-2019 form

Get I-20/DS-2019 form

All new international students will receive an email from ISS with instructions to access the iHawk website. iHawk is the website where international students complete important immigration forms. All students must complete form #1, which tells us more about your immigration situation. If ISS determines that you need a Form I-20 for an F-1 student visa or a DS-2019 for a J-1 exchange visitor visa, you will be required to complete all forms in the “Get Your I-20/DS-2019” Checklist. Only those who have completed all of the required forms will be reviewed for I-20/DS-2019 processing. 

Cost of Attendance

Please use our cost calculator to determine how much your first academic year at KU will cost based on degree type and major

Submit Proof of Finances

Please visit our proof of finances page to learn about acceptable financial documents. You will need to submit proof of finances to get an I-20 or DS-2019 form.

Apply for a Visa

A visa is a document issued by the U.S. government, usually at an embassy or consulate outside of the United States. This allows you to present yourself at at United States Port of Entry and request to be let in. You will use the I-20 form to apply for an F-1 visa, or you use a DS-2019 form to apply for a J-1 visa.

Steps to apply for a visa

Pay SEVIS fee

Both F-1 and J-1 students must pay the SEVIS fee to begin their visa application

How to apply for a visa

Once you pay the SEVIS fee you can begin the DS-160 visa application at a US consulate/embassy.

Pre-Arrival Information

There is a lot of important information you need to know before you get to the United States.

Pre-arrival information

When should I arrive?

International students must arrive on campus by their Report Date. This will be your I-20 form/DS-2019 form start date.

International Student Orientation

You will join hundreds of other students before you arrive in online modules as well as a massive welcome week before classes begin. Learn about the University of Kansas and what it is like to live in the United States to ensure your success.


The KU Department of Student Housing offers a variety of on-campus living options, including residence halls, private room with bath, suite with semi-private bath, scholarship halls, or on-campus apartments.

Required Health Documents

All international students are required to complete a health check-in at the Watkins Health Center after their arrival. Please prepare your immunization history form before you enter the United States

Arrival Procedures

We want your entry to the United States to be a simple as possible. Learn what to bring with you when you come to Lawrence, what you will go through at the Port of Entry at the border, and the immigration documents you will get when you enter.

Arrival Procedure

At the Port of Entry

When you enter the United States you will go through immigration and customs inspection. You will need to make sure you carry the correct documents with you and not in your suitcase. You may even go through secondary inspection

Understand your I-94

When you enter the United States you will get an electronic admission record. This is called your I-94 record. Learn more about the I-94 record as well as how to retrieve your record.

Airport to Lawrence

Now that you are finally in the United States you need to get to Lawrence. There are a few options to choose from.

Enrollment & Tuition

F-1 and J-1 international students must be enrolled in a full course of study each regular term. International student do NOT pay the KU enrollment deposit. Generally, international undergraduate students must be enrolled in at least 12 credit hours, and international graduate students are required to be enrolled in 9 credit hours.

Acdemic Support

Your academic advising will be based on your degree program. Learn where to go to get academic advising.

The deadline to pay your tuition and fees will depend on when you enroll. Get more information from Student Accounts & Receivables.

Accessibility Statement

An accessible version of the documents on this site will be made available upon request. Please contact the International Support Services , at to request the document be made available in an accessible format.