Enrollment & Tuition

Enrollment Requirements for International Students

F-1 and J-1 international students must be enrolled in a full course of study each regular term. Generally, international undergraduate students must be enrolled in at least 12 credit hours, international graduate students are required to be enrolled in 9 credit hours, international graduate students with at least a 50% assistantship are required to be enrolled in 6 credit hours.

If for any reason you do not meet these requirements or are planning to drop below the minimum hours required, you must first speak with an ISS immigration advisor or you risk falling out of status. You will receive more information about this at your ISS Check-in. Learn more about exceptions to the full-time enrollment requirement.

Undergraduate Students

All undergraduate students are advised through Jayhawk Academic Advising.

Applied English Center

Students taking English proficiency courses through the Applied English Center (AEC) will be advised through that office in Room 204, Lippincott Hall. Students taking part-time AEC and part-time regular KU academic courses should be advised by Jayhawk Academic Advising.

Graduate Students

All graduate students should contact their department for information about advising procedures. There is no central office strictly for graduate student advising.

Study Abroad

Students whose short-term visits are coordinated through Study Abroad and Global Engagement.

When selecting your classes, it is important to keep in mind the stipulations of your academic program. For this reason, we recommend meeting with an academic advisor before you enroll.

  • Before you enroll, take a look at the semester class schedule to get an idea of potential classes that suit your interests or academic goals. Make sure that the classes you select are compatible with your program requirements. All classes are named after a particular code. These codes represent the department and subject area of a class.
  • Students taking AEC classes will enroll through the AEC.  If your visit to KU is coordinated through the Study Abroad and Global Engagement, you must meet with that office to be advised and enroll.
  • Questions about enrolling in classes should be directed to your academic advisor or the Registrar's Office (1-785-864-4423 or registrar@ku.edu).

Enrolling for classes is completed online through Enroll & Pay. It is very important to familiarize yourself with this system. Please visit the Enroll & Pay website to log in and learn how to navigate the enrollment process.

Many classes at your current or former school may be transferred to KU. However, you must submit official transcripts of completed course work before a final determination can be made.

KU uses a Transfer Equivalency System called CredTran, which is provided as a guide to how classes at your current or former school are transferred to KU.

Find out if your credits are transferable.

The deadline to pay your tuition and fees will depend on when you enroll. KU posts e-bills on the 21st of each month and payments are due on the 15th of the following month. Failure to pay by the deadline will result in assessment of additional fees.

Student Accounts & Receivables

1246 West Campus  Road, Room 1

Lawrence, KS 66045


For payment options please visit the Student Accounts & Receivables website.

NOTE: KU cannot accept cash payment for tuition and fees.

KU has a payment installment plan administered by Tuition Management Systems (TMS). The payment plan allows students to pay their tuition, required campus fees, Student Housing charges, meal plan, and optional campus fees over various months depending on the semester.

The KU Bookstore is located in Kansas Union on the KU campus. All of the required textbooks for classes taught at KU are available at the KU Bookstore.

Learn more about KU Bookstore and textbooks.