Immigration Advising Services
We generally have two methods for our KU community to meet with an immigration advisor, the first is Drop-In/Walk-In Advising and is used for quick advising or if you have a quick question. The second is for appointments where a student or scholar has already submitted an eform request in iHawk and now needs that request processed. Also if you have questions about your situation and you think it will take longer than 15 minutes please schedule an appointment.
During the session you will be able to talk with an immigration advisor. These sessions are for questions that will take less than 15 minutes. Typically, students and scholars have general questions about how a situation will impact their immigration status, need quick advising, or want an iHawk process explained. If we can't resolve all of your questions, you may be directed to schedule an appointment if necessary.
Virtual Drop-In Advising
- When: Monday through Friday, 1:30pm to 3:00pm using Zoom.
- Location: Zoom. Please email us at email@example.com to get the zoom link and password. Please include your name and topic you wish to discuss with the advisor.
In-Person Drop-In Advising
- When: Monday through Friday, 1:30pm to 4:00pm in Strong Hall, room 126.
Common Topics for walk-ins
- Travel issues
- Employment & Internships
- Full-time Enrollment
- Issues that may impact your immigration status
The following iHawk requests can be reviewed and processed during drop-ins/walk-ins if they are completely submitted (AND verified by the second approver such as department contact or academic advisor, if applicable):
- Reduced Course Load (F-1 or J-1)
- Add Dependents (F or J)
- Financial Update on I-20
- DS-2019 form Update
- Economic Hardship for J-1 students
Remember that some processes in iHawk require an appointment. You can review the list below.
Inquiries NOT handled during drop-in advising:
- Insurance-related inquiries: instead please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Newly-admitted student inquires: instead please email email@example.com
- Other iHawk requests requiring appointments, listed below
Call 785-864-3617 to set up a virtual or in-person appointment. Below are the iHawk requests that require an appointment to complete with an ISS immigration advisor. Once you submit all eforms in iHawk, you will receive an email notifying you to schedule an appointment. If you have general questions about the process, please join a Walk-In or Virtual Drop-In advising session.
iHawk requests requiring appointments for review & processing:
- I-20 Extension
- Curricular Practical Training
- Optional Practical Training
- Optional Practical Training STEM Extension
- I-20 request for Change of Status
- Regaining Legal Status (Reinstatement / Travel & Re-Entry)
- Economic Hardship
- DS-2019 Extension
- Academic Training
- Transfer Sponsorship to KU
- Change of Status
- Economic Hardship
- Regain Legal Status
Other Topics and Ways to Contact Us
We have many teams within International Support Services that provide service to the entire international community at KU.
- general questions - firstname.lastname@example.org
- insurance questions - email@example.com
- undergraduate admissions questions- firstname.lastname@example.org
- orientation & arrival questions - email@example.com