On Campus Employment


On-campus employment is permitted "incident to your status" as an J student. This means you are eligible as soon as you obtain J status and receive approval from ISS in advance of work. This type of employment does not require an application to the federal government. On-campus work is done for, and paid by, the University of Kansas.

Permission from ISS

J-1 exchange visitor regulations require sponsor authorization for on-campus employment. If your Form DS-2019 was issued by the University of Kansas, submit a request in iHawk in J-1 Student Services. Go to iHawk and complete an On-Campus Work Permit Request (J-1), under J-1 Student Services. An email will be sent by the ISS office to the student once the employment authorization is ready to be picked up.

You must have a written authorization letter before you start work.

Students with a Form DS-2019 issued by a program sponsor other than KU (i.e. IIE, LASPAU, Department of State) need to contact their program sponsor for the work permit.

Hours Allowed

J-1 students are eligible to work on campus a maximum of 20 hours per week during the Fall and Spring academic semesters. During breaks and official school vacation periods, J-1 students are eligible to work more than 20 hours per week on campus. A student who has a valid DS-2019 and intends to enroll for the next regular term may work on-campus.

Please note that on-campus employment is not permitted after completion of a degree or program unless the student has been issued a DS-2019 to begin a new academic program or has been granted Academic Training.

After you find an On-Campus Job

Apply for a Social Security Number

You must apply in person to the Social Security Administration, a federal agency, for a Social Security Number (SSN). Learn exactly what you need to do for an SSN application (link)

Get on Payroll

The office that hires you will give you instructions for completing an I-9 employment verification authorization form, tax withholding forms, and possibly IRS Form 8233 if you are from a country eligible for a tax treaty benefit.

By January 31 of the following tax year, you will be sent a W-2 form, also known as the Wage and Tax Statement. The W-2 reports your annual wages and the amount of taxes withheld from your paycheck. If you have questions about your W-2 please contact the Payroll Office.

For questions regarding taxes please contact Legal Services for Students. They generally have tax workshops for international students and employees every year.