Enrollment for J-1 Students

J-1 non-degree study abroad students and degree-seeking students must complete a full course of study (enroll full-time) each Fall/Spring semester (and Summer if it is your first semester) and make normal progress towards completing the program of study.

If you are here on a special short-term J-1 program, you must fully participate and engage in your prescribed classes and/or activities throughout the duration of the program.

KU defines full-time enrollment during Fall and Spring semesters:

For undergraduate students:

  • 12 credit hours (including any AEC courses)

For graduate students:

  • 9 credit hours
  • 6 credit hours plus a GTA, GRA, or GA appointment

Limitation on counting ONLINE course credits towards minimum requirement:

Generally, only one online class (up to 3 credit hours) can count towards the full-time enrollment requirement. 

  • Note: students taking any AEC classes cannot count any online class towards the full-time enrollment requirement.

Definition of ONLINE vs IN-PERSON classes based on mode of instruction shown on course catalogue:

  • Considered In-Person credits: "In Person", "Hybrid Classroom", "Video Conference"
  • Considered Online credits: "Hybrid Online", "World Wide Web"


Dropping below required full time credits? Obtain ISS (or program sponsor) permission first!!

Students must not drop a course and become less than full time without prior authorization from ISS (or your program sponsor). Please note that there are very limited circumstances in which pursuing less than full-time study is allowed. Please read the Reduced Course Load section.

Important: If KU ISS (or your program sponsor) has not approved the Reduce Course Load exemption by the deadline or prior to dropping below full time, you will be considered in violation of your legal status.

Academic Advising

If you need help in choosing courses for the current or future semester please reach out to your your academic advisor.

  • Undergraduate students please go to Jayhawk Academic Advising.
  • Graduate Students please go to Graduate Program Coordinator within your department.