Enrollment for J-1 Students
Every J-1 student must complete a full course of study each Fall/Spring semester (and Summer if it is your first semester) and make normal progress towards completing the program of study.
Limitation on counting ONLINE course credits towards minimum requirement:
Generally, only one online class (up to 3 credit hours) can count towards the full-time enrollment requirement.
- Note: students taking any AEC classes cannot count any online class towards the full-time enrollment requirement.
KU defines full-time enrollment during Fall and Spring semesters:
For undergraduate students:
- 12 credit hours (including any AEC courses)
For graduate students:
- 9 credit hours
- 6 credit hours plus a GTA, GRA, or GA appointment
Students must not drop a course and become less than full time without prior authorization from ISS. Please note that there are very limited circumstances in which pursuing less than full-time study is allowed. Please read the Reduced Course Load section.
Important: If KU ISS (or your program sponsor) has not approved the Reduce Course Load exemption by the deadline or prior to dropping below full time, you will be considered in violation of your legal status.
If you need help in choosing courses for the current or future semester please reach out to your your academic advisor.
- Undergraduate students please go to Jayhawk Academic Advising.
- Graduate Students please go to Graduate Program Coordinator within your department.