Get your I-20/DS-2019 form

A Form I-20 immigration document is required for an F-1 student visa. A Form DS-2019 immigration document is required for a J-1 exchange visa. ISS will review your iHawk form submissions to see if you will need a Form I-20 or Form DS-2019.


All new international students will receive an email from ISS with instructions to access the iHawk website. iHawk is the website where international students complete important immigration forms. All students must complete form #1, which tells us more about your immigration situation. If ISS determines that you need a Form I-20 for an F-1 student visa or a DS-2019 for a J-1 exchange visitor visa, you will be required to complete all forms in the “Get Your I-20/DS-2019” Checklist. Only those who have completed all of the required forms will be reviewed for I-20/DS-2019 processing. 

For an I-20 or DS-2019, you must submit the following documentation to iHawk:

  1. A confirmation form informing us of your current immigration situation
  2. Proof of financial eligibility for at least one year in your program
  3. A copy of your passport
  4. Confirmation that you understand the date you are expected to arrive at KU
  5. Confirmation of the mailing method for your immigration document, if undergraduate
  6. An ‘Intent to Transfer to KU’ form, if you are currently in F-1 status studying at another school within the U.S.
  7. Information about your dependents, including a copy of their passport, if you are bringing your child or spouse to the U.S.
  8. J-1 supplemental information eform, if you are requesting a DS-2019 form

After you submit all required iHawk eforms for your immigration document, it will be sent for review to ISS staff. You will be contacted by email if any additional information is required.

Estimated Cost of Attendance

Please use our cost calculator to determine how much your first academic year at KU will cost based on degree type and major.

Proof of Finances

Please visit our Proof of Finances page to learn about acceptable financial documentation.

Review and Understand your I-20 form

After you have reviewed these fields of your I-20, make sure to read the 'Instructions to Students' section on page 3. Then sign and date the I-20 in the STUDENT ATTESTATION box on your original paper I-20. If you are under 18 years of age, your parent or guardian must also sign your I-20 in the section beneath your signature.

These indicate your major at KU and if you will need to take an English Proficiency test upon arrival based on the materials you provided on your application. Major one indicates your main degree major at KU. However, the major listed may not match your KU major exactly. It is common for the major description on the I-20 to differ slightly from your KU major. We have matched your KU major with the best-matching description on your I-20. If the Major 2 field shows 'Second Language Learning' you are required to take an English Proficiency test with KU's Applied English Center during orientation. Contact your admission office for details or questions regarding your AEC test requirement. 

These fields indicate what KU's requirements are for the program you were admitted to. It does not reflect your level of English or a waiver from taking the AEC test upon arrival. Look to the field MAJOR 2 for that information.

You cannot enter the U.S. with the KU I-20 any earlier than this date

You must enter the U.S. before the date listed as the PROGRAM START DATE. You will not be allowed to enter the U.S. after your PROGRAM START DATE has passed. It is expected that you will graduate from your program by your END DATE.

These two columns indicate the amount your program is estimated to cost for your first 9 or 12 months at KU and the types of funding you documented that at least equaled that amount. Secure funding prior to your arrival in the United States. Do not assume you will be able to find a job or get a scholarship in the U.S. to cover your expenses. U.S. immigration regulations greatly restrict employment opportunities for international students.

Review and Understand your DS-2019 form

After you have reviewed these fields of your DS-2019, make sure to read the INSTRUCTIONS AND CERTIFICATION section on page 2. Then sign and date the DS-2019 in the EXCHANGE VISITOR CERTIFICATION box at the bottom of page 1.

You are required to enter the U.S. no later than the 'From' date.

This section shows the estimated cost of attendance for the duration of your program and the funding you have shown to support this expense. Secure funding prior to your arrival in the United States. Do not assume you will be able to find a job or get a scholarship in the U.S. to cover your expenses. U.S. immigration regulations greatly restrict employment opportunities for international students.

F-1 Transfer

All students currently in F-1 status at any type of institution (high school, college, university, intensive English institute) in the U.S. (including those on Optional Practical Training) who plan to change schools must complete the transfer procedure through SEVIS.  It is the student’s responsibility to maintain his or her F-1 student status and to complete the procedures below.


Transfer Procedure

  1. Get admitted to the University of Kansas.
  2. Once you decide that you will attend KU, notify your current school (or if on Optional Practical Training your former school who recommended the OPT) of your intent to transfer to KU.
  3. Only after you have decided to attend KU, complete and submit the "Intent to Transfer to KU" e-form online:
    • Step 1 – Setup KU Online ID  (you will need your 7 digit KUID number [e.g. 2991234])
    • Step 2 – Log in to iHawk by using the blue “Login” button.
    • Step 3 – Complete and submit the “Intent to Transfer to KU from a U.S. School” e-form, under the “Get Your I-20/DS-2019” tab.  You will need to provide the email address of your current international student advisor at the transfer-out school.
    • Step 4 – The international student advisor at your current transfer-out school will complete their portion of the e-form (routed to them via email upon your submission of e-form).  In order for the advisor to complete their part, you must have already met with them to request the transfer and have determined the SEVIS record release date. To release your SEVIS record to the University of Kansas, your advisor will need KU’s SEVIS school code: KAN214F00634000. 
  4. After the release date, KU will produce an I-20 if sufficient proof of finances has been received. KU cannot produce the I-20 before the release date.
  5. Once the I-20 is issued, you will receive it in the manner which you selected on the “Intent to Transfer to KU from a U.S. School” e-form.
  6. To complete the transfer, you are required to report to an international student advisor at KU within 15 days of the report date on your new KU I-20, during orientation or at an ISS ARRIVE check-in session.

Driver License & SSN Issues

After transferring your SEVIS record to KU, your SEVIS record is not registered (changed to active status) until orientation and ISS check-in are completed, you have enrolled, and classes have started.  If you can, you should wait to apply for your driver’s license or social security number until after classes have started.  If you absolutely cannot wait, consult the ISS office.

Re-admitted Students, transferring back to KU

Checklist of things to do:

  1. Have your SEVIS record released (transferred) to KU:
  • See instructions above
  1. Complete required check-ins to remove enrollment holds:
  • As a readmitted student, you are not required (although certainly welcome) to do the International Student Orientation, however, you are still required to complete the ISS ARRIVE Check-in prior to being allowed to enroll.  You may have other enrollment holds and check-ins to complete as well.
  • Review the details on Readmitted Student Arrival and Check-in Processes