Legal Information for students Under 18 Years of Age

For students under the age of 18, the University of Kansas highly recommends that minor students have a parent, assigned legal guardian or an individual with power of attorney over the age of 18 residing in the United States. International Support Services (ISS) will not assume any of these roles in any capacity for a student under the age of 18.

The state of Kansas may require the signature or presence of an authorized adult (such as a parent, legal guardian or a person with power of attorney) before the minor can receive medical treatment even in the event of a personal emergency, accident or illness. Likewise, a minor who is incarcerated may need an authorized adult signature to receive legal counsel.

For more information on becoming a power of attorney, please visit the Kansas Legal Services website.