On Campus Employment


On-campus employment is permitted "incident to your status" as an F-1 student. This means you are eligible as soon as you obtain F-1 status and this type of employment does not require an application to the federal government. On-campus work is defined as work that is done for, and paid by, the University of Kansas.

Examples of common positions include teaching assistantships (GTA), research assistantships (GRA), and student hourly employment (KU Dining Services, Library, etc).

Limitation on number of hours you may work

You may work on-campus up to 20 hours per week during the academic year (fall and spring semester) when classes are in session, and unlimited hours during any recess periods, such as winter break or summer vacation. With the approval of the hiring department, students are allowed to work more than 20 hours per week starting on Stop Day and ending on the day before the First day of classes the next semester.

If you begin your program in the summer term, it is not considered a vacation period and you are restricted to 20 hours per week.

On-campus employment is not permitted after completion of a degree program unless the student has been issued a Form I-20 to begin a new program at KU.

On-campus employment is not deducted from other types of work

The time you spend working on-campus is not deducted from the amount of time you are allowed to work, such as F-1 Optional Practical Training and does not need to be related to your field of study.

You are not eligible for jobs classified as "Work-Study"

This is because Work-Study jobs are subsidized by United States federal financial aid for American students.

Where to look for on-campus jobs

KU On-Campus Jobs Website

KU Dining and Memorial Unions Job Website

After you find an On-Campus Job

You must apply in person to the Social Security Administration, a federal agency, for a Social Security Number (SSN). Learn exactly what you need to do for an SSN application.

  • Follow instructions from your department for getting on payroll

The office that hires you will give you instructions for completing an I-9 employment verification authorization form, tax withholding forms, and possibly IRS Form 8233 if you are from a country eligible for a tax treaty benefit.

By January 31 of the following tax year, you will be sent a W-2 form, also known as the Wage and Tax Statement. The W-2 reports your annual wages and the amount of taxes withheld from your paycheck. If you have questions about your W-2 please contact the Payroll Office.

For questions regarding taxes please contact Legal Services for Students. They generally have tax workshops for international students and employees every year.