Who pays the SEVIS fee
All F-1 and J-1 students are required to pay a fee to the United States government before applying for a visa.
All students who have an initial attendance I-20 Form (F-1 students) and most students who have a “begin a new program” DS-2019 Form (J-1 Students) must pay the SEVIS fee to the US government before applying for a visa.
Dependents (F-2 or J-2) do not need to pay the SEVIS fee.
Students currently in the United States
Students currently studying in the U.S. usually do not have to pay the fee again. The fee is tied to the SEVIS ID number and as long as the student has maintained status, the SEVIS record can be transferred to KU without the student repaying the fee.
If you are not sure if you need to pay or need to have the fee transferred from one SEVIS record to another please visit the government’s FAQ page
When to pay the SEVIS fee
Pay the SEVIS fee after you have received your initial F-1 I-20 or initial J-1 DS-2019. You must pay the SEVIS fee before applying for a visa at a US Embassy/Consulate or before applying for a change of status to F-1 or J-1.
How to pay the SEVIS fee
- Follow the instructions on the SEVIS fee website
- Submit form I-901
- Pay the SEVIS fee
- Keep the receipt of the I-901 SEVIS Fee payment after you have finished the payment
Information on payment options are available on the SEVIS Fee website.
You will need the following code and number when paying the SEVIS fee:
- KU F-1 (I-20) School Code: KAN 214F 00634000
- J-1 (DS-2019) School Code: The 'Program Number' listed in Section 2 on the DS-2019 issued for your attendance at KU.
- Your SEVIS ID Number: Located in the upper left corner of the I-20 (for F-1 students) or upper right corner of the DS-2019 (for J-1 students). This number begins with an ‘N’.
What is SEVIS?
SEVIS stands for Student and Exchange Visitor Information System This system is used by the U.S. government to collect and maintain information about F and J status international students and their accompanying dependents during their stay in the U.S. All students who have an initial attendance I-20 Form (F-1 students) and most students who have a “begin a new program” DS-2019 Form (J-1 Students) must pay a SEVIS fee to the US government before they can apply for a visa.