How to Start a Waiver


If you are in J-1 status, F-1, or F-2 status and can show adequate insurance coverage from another provider, you may request a waiver by completing the electronic waiver process, which includes uploading an insurance identification card.   To receive an insurance waiver, your insurance must meet all the Kansas Board of Regents (KBOR) minimum requirements or your waiver will be denied.  Stand-alone travel and/or emergency/urgent care only coverage is not acceptable. 

Waivers will be accepted and processed by ECI Services for 2023-2024 academic year

  • Fall 2023  - 07/21/2023 – 8/21/2023 (first day of classes)
  • Spring 2024 - 12/1/2023 – 1/16/2024 (first day of classes)
  • Summer 2024 - 4/22/2024 – 6/4/2024  (first day of classes)

If your insurance waiver request is submitted during the above insurance waiver processing dates and your insurance plan meets all the KBOR minimum insurance requirements, a waiver will be granted and the insurance fee will be removed from your Enroll & Pay account.  Plans which do not meet the KBOR minimum insurance requirements will not be approved for a waiver, the insurance fee will be assessed to your student account and you will automatically be enrolled in the KU United Healthcare Student Resource (UHCSR) student insurance plan for the semester. 

How to Submit a Waiver

If you do not want the United Healthcare Student Resources (UHCSR) insurance plan, you must do the following:

  1.  Set up an account with ECI Services.
  2. Log into your ECI Services account to go to the waiver portal administered by ECI Services.  
  3. Enter your insurance information on the Waiver Form and upload a copy of the front and back sides of your insurance card.
  4. Waiver requests will be accepted and processed by ECI Services only during the insurance waiver processing dates listed above.  

If you have questions regarding waivers, please contact ECI Services on behalf of the University of Kansas at 833-249-0574, or via e-mail at   

For questions about the removal of the premium charge on your student tuition and fees account, please contact the ISS Insurance Team at  

Out of Country Waiver

If you will be out of the country while enrolled in any KU courses, you will need to submit the “Enrolled but Out of the Country” insurance waiver e-form each semester by the semester’s insurance waiver during the insurance waiver process time for each semester.   

This Out of Country Waiver must be submitted before the first day of class.

The Out of the Country Waiver requires you to indicate you will NOT be in the U.S. the entire length of the semester (Fall: Aug 1- Dec 31. Spring: Jan 1 - May 31. Summer: June 1 - July 31). When you submit your “Out of the Country” Waiver, you will need to supply the following information:

  1. PDF of documents showing when you left the USA, and if you are returning to the USA,  when you will be returning. These documents should include: airline ticket and scan of exit/entry Visas or Passport.   All documents need to be in English.  If you are submitting airline ticket or flight itinerary, documents must include your name, name of airline company, flight numbers, date of flights which includes day, month, year.  
  2. State that if you return for any reason, you know you are responsible for being insured the length of your stay. You will need to indicate that you will submit proof of insurance to the ISS office, in the event you return to the USA for any reason during the semester. Please let the ISS Insurance Team know your travel plans a few weeks before you travel.
  3. Submit the waiver for every semester you are out of the USA and enrolled in classes at KU.

Out of Country Waiver Process

  1. Log into iHawk Portal with your KU online ID and password.
  2. Click on “Insurance and Finances” from the left-side panel.
  3. Click on “Student Health Insurance”.
  4. And then click on “Fall - Enrolled but Out of Country (Insurance Waiver Request)”.
  5. Complete the form, including providing documentation of your departure from the US and, if applicable, your planned return.

Permanent Resident, U.S. Citizen and Non-Immigrants other than F-1, F-2, and J-1, J-2

If you are a permanent resident, U.S. citizen or currently in any non-immigrant classification other than F-1, an F-2 enrolled in classes at KU, J-1 or J-2 (i.e. H-1, L-2, TN etc.) you are not  automatically enrolled in the KU international student insurance plan; you are not required to show proof of insurance; and you do not need to complete a waiver form.

If you are changing your status, please notify the International Support Services Insurance Team:

NOTE: Because all J-1 Visitors are required to have health insurance for themselves and their J-2 dependents for the duration of their stay, regardless of enrollment, J-2’s who enroll in KU classes are not automatically billed for the insurance. Contact to sign up for the KU UHC insurance.