Proof of Insurance for J-1 Students Not Enrolled in Classes
By U.S. federal law, all J-1 students and their dependents are required to have insurance coverage throughout the duration of the J-1 students J program. Any J-1 student that willfully fails to maintain health insurance as prescribed below shall be subject to termination as a student.
J-1 students and their J-2 dependents must have insurance which meets the U.S. State Department minimum insurance requirements.
Submit proof of insurance by each semester deadline by logging into iHawk Portal with your KU online ID and password.
Minimum health insurance coverage requirements for J-1 students and their J-2 dependents:
- Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per person per accident or illness
- Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000
- Expenses associated with medical evacuation in the amount of $50,000
- A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness
- Co-insurance up to 25%
- Must be underwritten by an insurance company that meets the rating requirements of the USIA or is backed by the full faith and credit of your home government
While enrolled in classes as a J-1 student at KU, you are covered either by the student insurance plan through KU or by another plan based on which you received a waiver from being automatically enrolled in the student insurance plan through KU. These plans are fully compliant with the U.S. State Department requirements for J visitors.
During the Summer term, J-1 students who were enrolled in spring classes but will not enroll in summer classes are eligible to extend/purchase the student health insurance plan through KU, which provides an excellent level of coverage at a discounted price. Please visit the ISS Optional Insurance webpage for information on how to extend/purchase this plan for the summer term.
J-1 students who are not enrolled in classes must submit documentation showing they have insurance coverage which meets the minimum health insurance coverage requirements listed above by uploading the insurance ID card(s) and Certificate(s) of Coverage, which shows their name, policy/group numbers, and dates of coverage.
- Proof of J-1 student insurance documentation must be submitted by logging into iHawk Portal with your KU online ID and password.
- Click on “Insurance and Finances” from the left-side panel.
- Click on “Student Health Insurance”.
- And then click on “Spring Proof of Insurance for Non-Enrolled J-1 Students”.
- Upload your proof of insurance documents
- Insurance identification card, (front and back) and Certificate of Coverage that shows the name, policy/group number, and dates of coverage (Fall: 08/01/2023-12/31/2023. Spring: 01/01/2024-05/31/2024. Summer: 06/01/2024-07/31/2024).
- A full insurance policy, or Summary of Benefits and Coverage (SBC) that shows all the minimum J-2 health insurance requirements are met.
- If the health insurance policy does not provide coverage of Emergency Evacuation and Repatriation, you may purchase a standalone Emergency Evacuation and Repatriation policy and upload a copy of the policy showing the name of dependent, policy/group number, and dates of coverage.
- Submit proof of insurance by
- Fall 2023 Semester - Deadline is August 21, 2023
- Spring 2024 Semester - Deadline is January 16, 2024
- Summer 2024 Semester - Deadline is June 4, 2024