J-2 dependents are defined as a spouse or an unmarried child under 21 years of age of a J-1 student.
J-2 dependents remain in status as long as the student remains in valid J-1 status, and only until age 21 (if a dependent child).
- May enter the U.S. with or after the J-1 nonimmigrant, but never before;
- Must have a program sponsor’s travel signature on their DS-2019 when traveling outside of and re-entering the U.S.;
- May not remain in the U.S. if the J-1 student is absent from the U.S. unless the absence is temporary (usually 30 days or less).
If you have a spouse or child(ren) that accompany you as J-2 dependent(s) in the U.S., federal regulations require that you provide an email address contact for each of your dependents (including children, if any).
To submit an email address for your dependent(s), login to iHawk and select "J-1 Student Services" --> "J-2 Dependent E-mail Update".
Inviting a J-2 Dependent
J-2 dependents may accompany a J-1 student when he/she enters the U.S., or join the student later. J-1 students will need to request issuance of a J-2 DS-2019 for each family member joining them.
The process below ONLY applies to J-1 students whose DS-2019 is issued by KU (check item 2 “Program Sponsor” on your DS-2019). If your DS-2019 is not issued by KU, contact your program sponsor.
Request a Dependent J-2 DS-2019
Log into iHawk and select “J-1 Student Services” --> "DS-2019 Requests". Click on “Start a New Request” then select “Add Dependent DS-2019s”.
What you will need:
- Dependent’s passport ID page(s)
- Verification of financial ability (Federal regulations require that you have enough funds to support yourself and any dependents that accompany you for the duration of your program):
- KU Funding: If you have a GA/GRA/GTA, lecturer position, fellowship, or departmental scholarship, you must provide the name and email address of the departmental staff person who can verify the salary and benefit information.
- Other funding (ex.personal, family, home government): Upload current evidence of financial support that shows the additional dependent expense amount needed for the remainder of your program. Make sure to calculate the total amount based on the number of dependents and the number of years remaining on your DS-2019.
- Monitor the status of your request in iHawk. When the e-form shows "Pending Review" status, your request is ready for review by an ISS advisor.
- Come to the ISS office during walk-in advising hours to process your request. An ISS advisor will prepare the necessary SEVIS dependent DS-2019(s).
The student's dependent(s) will then use the DS-2019 to apply for a J-2 dependent visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate in his/her home country, or to apply for a change of status to J-2 within the U.S.