DS-2019 Extension

Always maintain a valid DS-2019 during your stay in the U.S. The ending date in item #3 on your DS-2019 is the date by which you are expected to complete your studies.

For students with a DS-2019 issued by a program sponsor other than KU (ex. IIE, LASPAU, Fulbright), please contact your sponsor to request your extension.


Any J-1 student who is pursuing a full course of study and maintaining satisfactory advancement toward the completion of his/her program.

When to Apply

If you need more time to complete your degree or program beyond the date in item #3, please submit the DS-2019 Extension Request. Extensions should be processed before the completion date on your current DS-2019. We recommend that you submit your extension paperwork within the semester that your DS-2019 expires.

How to Apply (for students whose current DS-2019 is issued by KU)

Log into iHawk and complete the "DS-2019 Extension" e-forms under "J-1 Student Services" - BOTH parts are required

What you will need:

Part 1

Departmental contact's name and email address – meet with your departmental contact regarding the DS-2019 extension request you are about to submit. Please use the following to identify the department of the appropriate contact person:

  • Study Abroad Exchange Students - Office of Study Abroad
  • Kansai Exchange Students – Applied English Center
  • Grad Direct Exchange and semester/academic year-long Kanagawa – International Programs
  • All others – Academic advisor

The contact you indicate on the e-form will receive an email and will need to verify the reason for and length of extension requested.

​Part 2

  • KU Funding: If you are receiving any exchange agreement benefits, have a GA/GRA/GTA, Lecturer position, fellowship or departmental scholarship, you must provide the name and email address of the departmental staff person who can verify the salary and benefit information.
  • Other Funding: Upload evidence of financial support for the entire length of the requested extension period. For the minimum amount, refer to your specific major/program in Estimated Cost of Attendance (include dependent expenses if applicable).

When can I come to ISS to process the DS-2019 extension?

You will receive an E-mail from ISS that instructs you to call the ISS office to schedule an appointment and meet with an immigration advisor to process the DS-2019 extension.

You can also monitor the status of your request in iHawk. When both e-forms are showing "Pending Review" status, you should call the ISS office to schedule an appointment.

Important if you work on-campus

Take a copy of your newly extended DS-2019 and your new J-1 on-campus work permit to the Payroll Office in Room 145 Carruth O'Leary Hall for proof that you are eligible to continue working.


Immigration Advising Hours

ISS Virtual Drop-In Advising

Monday through Friday 1:30pm to 4:00pm. These virtual drop-in sessions are only for questions that will take 15 minutes or less.

>>Virtual Drop-in Request

Advising by Virtual Appointment

Call 785-864-3617 to set up an appointment for all processes (except a reduced course load with approval on an electronic I-20).


Find us on Facebook
follow us on Twitter

KU Today
One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
5th nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets: Colleges," Military Times