If you are in J-1 status, F-1, or F-2 status and can show adequate insurance coverage from another provider, you may request a waiver by completing the electronic waiver process, which includes uploading an insurance identification card. To receive an insurance waiver, your insurance must meet all the Kansas Board of Regents (KBOR) minimum requirements or your waiver will be denied. Stand-alone travel and/or emergency/urgent care only coverage is not acceptable.
Waivers will be accepted and processed by ECI Services for 2020-2021 academic year
Fall 2020 8/4/2020 – 8/24/2020 (first day of classes)
If your insurance waiver request is submitted during the above insurance waiver processing dates and your insurance plan meets all the KBOR minimum insurance requirements, a waiver will be granted and the insurance fee will be removed from your Enroll & Pay account. Plans which do not meet the KBOR minimum insurance requirements will not be approved for a waiver, the insurance fee will be assessed to your student account and you will automatically be enrolled in the KU UnitedHealthcare StudentResource (UHCSR) student insurance plan for the semester.
How to submit a waiver
If you do not want the UnitedHealthcare StudentResources (UHCSR) insurance plan, you must do the following:
- Set up an account with ECI Services.
- Log into your ECI Services account to go to the waiver portal administered by ECI Services.
- Enter your insurance information on the Waiver Form and upload a copy of the front and back sides of your insurance card.
- Waiver requests will be accepted and processed by ECI Services only during the insurance waiver processing dates listed above.
If you have questions regarding waivers, please contact ECI Services on behalf of the University of Kansas at 833-249-0574, or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions about the removal of the premium charge on your student tuition and fees account, please contact the ISS Insurance Team at email@example.com.
Students who are enrolling in KU on-line courses WILL be charged the insurance fee. You must do this waiver every semester you do not want the KU insurance.
If you will be out of the country while enrolled in any KU courses, you will need to submit the “Enrolled but Out of the Country” insurance waiver e-form each semester by the semester’s insurance waiver during the insurance waiver process time for each semester.
ISS will accept Out of the Country Waiver e-forms for the 2020-2021 academic year:
Fall 2020 7/27/2020 – 8/24/2020 (first day of classes)
The Out of the Country Waiver requires you to indicate you will NOT be in the U.S. the entire length of the semester (Fall: 8/1/20 - 12/31/20. Spring: 1/1/21 - 5/31/21. Summer: 6/1/21 - 7/31/2021.). When you submit your “Out of the Country” Waiver, you will need to supply the following information.
- PDF of documents showing when you left the USA, and if you are returning to the USA, when you will be returning. These documents should include: airline ticket and scan of exit/entry Visas or Passport. All documents need to be in English. If you are submitting airline ticket or flight itinerary, documents must include your name, name of airline company, flight numbers, date of flights which includes day, month, year.
- State that if you return for any reason, you know you are responsible for being insured the length of your stay. You will need to indicate that you will submit proof of insurance to the ISS office, in the event you return to the USA for any reason during the semester (Fall: 8/1/20 - 12/31/20. Spring: 1/1/21 - 5/31/21. Summer: 6/1/21 - 7/31/21.). Please let the ISS Insurance Team know your travel plans a few weeks before you travel.
- Submit the waiver for every semester you are out of the USA and enrolled in classes at KU.
Request your Out-Of-Country Insurance Waiver by logging into the
If you are a permanent resident, U.S. citizen or currently in any non-immigrant classification other than F-1, an F-2 enrolled in classes at KU, J-1 or J-2 (i.e. H-1, L-2, TN etc.) you are not automatically enrolled in the KU international student insurance plan; you are not required to show proof of insurance; and you do not need to complete a waiver form.
If you are changing your status, please notify the International Support Services Insurance Team: firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTE: Because all J-1 Visitors are required to have health insurance for themselves and their J-2 dependents for the duration of their stay, regardless of enrollment, J-2’s who enroll in KU classes are not automatically billed for the insurance. Contact email@example.com to sign up for the KU UHC insurance.