OPT/AT Insurance sign up when you are not going to be enrolled in KU classes
KU students on OPT/AT who are not enrolling in KU classes, are eligible to continue their UHC UnitedHealthcare StudentResources insurance. You will have to remember to do this every semester you are not enrolled, it is not automatic.
If you are remaining in the USA, ISS highly recommends that you have health insurance, as paying for medical treatment in the USA is very expensive.
Please be advised that students in J immigration status are required to stay continually enrolled in health insurance for themselves and their dependents for the entirety of their stay in the United States.
*If you are F-1, F-2 or J-1, enrolling in Spring KU classes (even online classes), you receive the insurance automatically, and the charge for insurance goes on your Enroll and Pay account, you do not need to submit a request for Optional Insurance Coverage through KU. Email email@example.com, if you end up enrolling in KU classes after you submit the form, as you will be charged again for insurance.
To enroll in the Summer 2017 KU UHC insurance plan, OPT/AT which are not enrolled in classes and are in the USA, need to submit the “Summer - Request Optional Insurance ” e-form at iHawk Services Login by MAY 24, 2017. (Note: After ISS submits your request to UHC to activate your Summer 2017 insurance plan, you will submit your insurance premium payment directly to UHC. Your insurance will not be activated until you pay.)
- Log into https://ihawk.ku.edu, with your KU online ID and password.
- Click on the “Insurance and Finances” Tab.
- Click on “Student Health Insurance”.
- And then click on “Spring -Request Optional Insurance Coverage through KU” e-form. Only do this form if you are not enrolling in KU Fall classes and are in the USA.
- Once you submit the online form, the ISS Insurance Team will review your request and, if you are eligible for this insurance coverage, your insurance enrollment will be sent to the UHC insurance company.
- UHC will send you a link to pay for optional insurance with a credit card.
- The payment link will only be active for 5 days.
- Once payment has been received by UHC, the insurance plan will be activated.
- The cost for Summer insurance is $232, and the effective dates are June 1 - July 31. NOTE: KU insurance policy dates for Spring are January 1-May 31, Summer are June 1-July 31, and for Fall are August 1-December 31. See Insurance Rates and Dependent Options for costs.
- F-1, or F-2 Students on OPT/AT can choose a shorter period for the coverage ($116 per calendar month. EX: January 1-31).
DEADLINE TO HAVE THE SUMMER 2017 KU UHC INSURANCE ACTIVATED IS WEDNESDAY, MAY 24, 2017.