Health insurance coverage is mandatory for all international students who are in:
- F-1 or F-2 status and enrolled in classes; or
- J-1 or J-2 dependent status (regardless of enrollment) for the duration of their program.
F-1, F-2, and J-1 students enrolling in classes receive the UnitedHealthcare StudentResources insurance coverage automatically, regardless of their course load. The charge for insurance is added to the student tuition and fees bill. Please reference the Insurance Costs page for information on the fees associated with this insurance plan.
NOTE: Because all J-1 Visitors are required to have health insurance for themselves and their J-2 dependents for the duration of their stay, regardless of enrollment, J-2’s who enroll in KU classes are not automatically billed for the insurance. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up for the KU UHC insurance.
Resources for International Students
Informational videos on the following topics, as well as other important topics, can be found at UnitedHealthcare StudentResources (UHCSR)
- What are deductibles, coinsurance and copays?
- What is an EOB?
- How to request an ID card?
- How to find a Provider and Cost Estimator
- How to check claims status
- How to Create My Account
Learn more about health insurance and important health topics through the following links:
Video credit to International Student Insurance, an Envisage International Company. Additional details found here. Please note, this is not the Kansas Board of Regents selected company.
Electronic Waiver Process
Students who have an alternative insurance plan, may request a waiver of the KU plan, as long as their insurance meets or exceeds the Kansas Board of Regents requirements. To receive a waiver, students must complete the online waiver process on or before the deadline, for a given term. If it is an alternative plan meets the KBOR requirements, the financial charge for the plan will be removed from the student’s account (Student Accounts & Receivables).
The intent of these insurance requirements is for all international students to have excellent, continuous insurance coverage while studying at the University of Kansas. If you have further questions, please contact the ISS Insurance Team at email@example.com.
Fall 2019 7/29/2019 – 8/26/2019 (first day of classes)
Spring 2020 12/9/2019 – 1/21/2020 (first day of classes)
Summer 2020 4/27/2020 – 6/2/2020 (first day of classes)
2019/2020 Insurance Requirements
If all the insurance requirements are not specified in your summary of benefits, additional documentation will be required.
- Unlimited Maximum Benefit for covered medical expenses.
- Coverage for essential benefits (with no dollar limits), as defined under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. This includes:
- mental health services
- maternity benefits
- preventive care, and coverage for pre-existing conditions
- pediatric dental and vision coverage
- A policy year deductible of $500 or less.
- Maximum total out-of-pocket expenses cannot exceed $6,350 per member ($12,700 per family) with preferred providers. Deductibles, coinsurance, and copays all count toward the out-of-pocket maximum.)
- A minimum of 80% coinsurance payable by the insurance plan to Network providers.
- Plan is not emergency/urgent care only.
- At least $100,000 in coverage for repatriation and medical evacuation.
- Coverage includes effective dates spanning the entire period for which the waiver is requested.
- Fall - 08/01/2019 through 12/31/2019
- Spring - 01/01/2020 through 05/31/2020
- Summer - 06/01/2020 through 07/31/2020
- Plan document(s) in English, with currency amounts converted to U.S. dollars, and the insurance company contact phone # in the U.S.
- Insurer has a base of operations in the US or has a US based claims payer.
- Coverage is provided by the student's employer, or is backed by the full faith and credit of the student's home government.
- Insurer is authorized to do business in Kansas and is providing coverage under a policy that has been filed and approved by the Kansas Department of Insurance.