Maintaining Legal J-1 Status
- Keep passport valid (at least 6 months into the future)
- Always carry I-94 card
- Get a new DS-2019 for any change in major or degree level
- Request an extension prior to current DS-2019 expiration date in item #3 if you need more time to finish the program
- Complete 12 hours each semester if undergraduate; 9 hours if graduate student
- You risk losing your legal status if you take any online classes that count toward your full-time enrollment
- Always visit with an ISS advisor before dropping courses if it takes you below the required minimum (above)
- Meet with an ISS advisor if you plan to transfer J-1 program sponsorship
- Carry health insurance for yourself and your J-2s dependents throughout entire program
- Do not work on or campus without authorization
- Do not work on campus more than 20 hours per week while school is in session
- Get an ISS advisor signature on your current DS-2019 if traveling outside the U.S.
- Always read emails from ISS (ISS Electronic News)
- After you finish your degree, leave the U.S. within 30 days
It is important that you keep all SEVIS DS-2019's issued to you. You should keep these documents in a safe place. If any of these documents are damaged, lost, or stolen, it is your responsibility to have them replaced as quickly as possible.