Your studies at KU begin with your application and admission to a KU program. The office through which you apply will be determined by the education level you want.
- Intensive English or English as a Second Language (ESL) : Applied English Center
- Bachelor’s degrees (BA, BS, BSB, BSE, BFA, etc) and PharmD : Undergraduate Admissions (IRUA)
- Master's and Doctoral degrees (MS, MArch, EDS, EDD, DE, DMA, PhD, etc) : Graduate Studies
- Juris Doctor (JD), Master's of Law (LLM)., and Doctor of Juridical Science (SJD) : Law School
Interested in a short-term exchange? See Office of Study Abroad to learn if KU has exchange programs with your home university.
After your application is processed, you will receive an admission decision from KU.
Check your admission status:
International Student Estimated Cost of Attendance
If you are requesting F-1 or J-1 non-immigrant status for your upcoming program admission, you will be required to submit proof of financial support before an I-20 form (for F-1 status) or a DS-2019 form (for J-1 status) can be issued. The amount will vary depending on:
- Your intended program of study
- The number of dependents you choose to bring, if any
- If you will start your program in Summer, or Summer is required by your program regardless of start term
Select your level of study
Select your area of study
If your area of study is not listed, select 'Liberal Arts and Sciences'
Students requesting F-1 status must prove that enough funds are readily available to cover the first year of estimated expenses and should be prepared to prove that additional funds will be available for the duration of studies. Students requesting J-1 status must prove that funding is available for the entire J-1 program.
Requirements for financial evidence
- must be dated and less than six months old
- must indicate the type and amount of currency
- English translation of the documents must be provided
If you have a financial sponsor (ex. family member) and the bank account is not in the student's name, please attach a statement signed by the account holder (sponsor). The statement should address:
- The student’s name
- The account holder's relationship to the student for whom the support will be provided
- The account holder's ability to financially support the student while he or she is studying at KU
- The account holder's willingness to financially support the student while he or she is studying at KU
Alternatively, the sponsor can complete and sign this affidavit template.
Acceptable financial documentation includes
- An official bank statement for a checking account, a savings account, stock holdings, and/or a certificate of deposit
- An official bank letter on letterhead indicating the account holder’s name, the date the account opened, the average balance, and the current balance
- A scholarship or sponsorship letter verifying the amount, source, and dates of the student's award
*ISS reserves the right to verify any submitted documentation for authenticity with the financial institution.