Proof of Insurance for J-1 Students Not Enrolled in Fall Classes
By U.S. federal law, all J-1 students and their dependents are required to have insurance coverage throughout the duration of the J-1 students J program. Any J-1 student that willfully fails to maintain health insurance as prescribed below shall be subject to termination as a student.
J-1 students and their J-2 dependents must have insurance which meets the U.S. State Department minimum insurance requirements.
Minimum health insurance coverage requirements for J-1 students and their J-2 dependents:
- Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per person per accident or illness
- Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000
- Expenses associated with medical evacuation in the amount of $50,000
- Deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness
- Co-insurance up to 25%
- Must be underwritten by an insurance company that meets the rating requirements of the USIA or is backed by the full faith and credit of your home government
While enrolled in classes as a J-1 student at KU, you are covered either by the student insurance plan through KU or by another plan based on which you received a waiver from being automatically enrolled in the student insurance plan through KU. These plans are fully compliant with the U.S. State Department requirements for J visitors.
During the Summer term, J-1 students who are not enrolled in classes are eligible to extend/purchase the student health insurance plan through KU, which provides an excellent level of coverage at a discounted price. Please visit the ISS Insurance Page for students not enrolled in Summer classes for information on how to extend/purchase this plan.
J-1 students must submit documentation showing they have insurance coverage which meets the minimum health insurance coverage requirements listed above by uploading the insurance ID card(s) and Certificate(s) of Coverage, which shows your dependents’ names, policy/group numbers, and dates of coverage for each J-2 dependent. DEADLINE TO SUBMIT PROOF OF INSURANCE FOR J-1 STUDENTS IS JULY 31, 2017.
- Proof of J-1 student insurance documentation must be submitted by logging into iHawk Portal with your KU online ID and password.
- Click on the “Insurance and Finances” Tab.
- Click on “Student Health Insurance”.
- And then click on “Summer Proof of Insurance for Non-Enrolled J-1 Students”.
- Upload your proof of insurance documents
- Insurance identification card, (front and back) or Certificate of Coverage that shows the name, policy/group number, and dates of coverage (Fall: 08/01/2017-12/31/2017. Spring: 01/01/2018-05/31/2018. Summer: 06/01/2018-07/31/2018).
- A full insurance policy, or Summary of Benefits and Coverage (SBC) that shows all the minimum J-2 health insurance requirements are met.
- If the health insurance policy does not provide coverage of Emergency Evacuation and Repatriation, you may purchase a standalone Emergency Evacation and Repatration policy and upload a copy of the policy showing the name of dependent, policy/group number, and dates of coverage.
- Submit proof of insurance by July 31, 2017.