2. KU IDS
Your studies at KU begin with your application and admission to a KU program. The office through which you apply will be determined by the education level you want.
|Education Level||Where to Apply||Where to Check Admission Status|
|Intensive English or English as a Second Language (ESL)||Applied English Center||International Admissions|
(BA, BS, BSB, BSE, BFA, etc) and PharmD
|International Admissions||International Admissions|
|Master’s and Doctoral degrees
(MS, March, EDS, EDD, DE, DMA, PhD, etc)
|Graduate Studies||Graduate Studies
*Graduate Students must accept the offer of admission in their application portal for an immigration document to be issued*
|Juris Doctor (JD), Master’s of Law (LLM, Doctor of Juridical Science (SJD)||Law School||Law School|
Interested in a short-term exchange? See Office of Study Abroad to learn if KU has exchange programs with your home university.
International Student Estimated Cost of Attendance
If you are requesting F-1 or J-1 non-immigrant status for your upcoming program admission, you will be required to submit proof of financial support before an I-20 form (for F-1 status) or a DS-2019 form (for J-1 status) can be issued. The amount will vary depending on:
- Your intended program of study
- The number of dependents you choose to bring, if any
- If you will start your program in Summer, or Summer is required by your program regardless of start term
Select your level of study
Select your area of study
If your area of study is not listed, select 'Liberal Arts and Sciences'
Students requesting F-1 status must prove that enough funds are readily available to cover the first year of estimated expenses and should be prepared to prove that additional funds will be available for the duration of studies. Students requesting J-1 status must prove that funding is available for the entire J-1 program. Sufficient proof of finances must be provided before an I-20 or DS-2019 immigration document is created.
Acceptable financial documentation
- An official bank statement for a checking account, a savings account, stock holdings, and/or a certificate of deposit
- An official bank letter on letterhead indicating the account holder’s name, the date the account opened, the average balance, and the current balance
- A scholarship or sponsorship letter verifying the amount, source, and dates of the student's award
- An official Graduate Assistantship (such as GTA or GRA) offer letter that indicates the benefits and dates of the student’s position
Requirements for financial documentation
- Bank documents must be provided on official bank letterhead
- Documents must be dated and less than six months old
- Bank documents must indicate the type and amount of currency
- If the documents are not in English, a translation of the documents must be provided
- If the bank document is not in the student's name, an affidavit statement will be required
*ISS reserves the right to verify any submitted documentation for authenticity with the financial institution.