Enrollment at KU

Choosing Your Courses

When selecting your classes, it is important to keep in mind the stipulations of your academic program. For this reason, we recommend meeting with an academic advisor before you enroll. For information about advising specific to you, please refer to our section about Advising at KU.

  • Before you enroll, take a look at the semester class schedule to get an idea of potential classes that suit your interests or academic goals. Make sure that the classes you select are compatible with your program requirements. All classes are named after a particular code. These codes represent the department and subject area of a class.
  • Students taking AEC classes will enroll through the AEC.  If your visit to KU is coordinated through the Office of Study Abroad, you must meet with that office to be advised and enroll.
  • Questions about enrolling in classes should be directed to your academic advisor or the Registrar's Office (1-785-864-4423 or kuregistrar@ku.edu).

Enrollment Requirement for International Students

F-1 and J-1 international students must be enrolled in a full course of study each regular term. Generally, international undergraduate students must be enrolled in at least 12 credit hours, and international graduate students are required to be enrolled in 9 credit hours.

If, for any reason, you do not meet these requirements or are planning to drop below the minimum hours required, you must first speak with an ISS advisor, or you will risk falling out of status. You will receive more information about this at your ISS check-in.

Fee Payment and Late Fee

View the payment deadlines with the Registrar's academic calendar. Students who enroll on or after the first day of classes will be assessed a $150 late enrollment fee.

Be sure your Credits Transfer

Many classes at your current or former school may be transferred to KU. However, you must submit official transcripts of completed course work before a final determination can be made.

KU uses a Transfer Equivalency System called CredTran, which is provided as a guide to how classes at your current or former school are transferred to KU.

Learn to Use Enroll & Pay


Enrolling for classes is completed online through Enroll & Pay. It is very important to familiarize yourself with this system. Please review the "Enroll & Pay Guide" below to learn how to locate and navigate the enrollment system.


Enroll & Pay Guide
Enroll & Pay Link


Find us on Facebook
follow us on Twitter

KU Today
One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
5th nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets: Colleges," Military Times