4-12 Months Before Arrival (Recommended)
- Make sure to check application deadlines for your level of study.
- The level of education you want from KU determines which office you apply through. Please see our Apply page for more details.
- If you are a graduate student, be sure to accept your admission offer when you finalize your decision to come to KU. You will not receive your I-20/DS-2019 until you accept your admission offer.
3-6 Months Before Arrival
- After you are admitted to KU, you will be contacted by ISS regarding your I-20/DS-2019.
- Remember, if you are a graduate student, you will first need to accept your admission offer.
- If you are planning to be in a status other than F-1 or J-1, you may skip to Step 4.
- Learn more about your I-20/DS-2019
- After you have received your I-20/DS-2019 you must pay the SEVIS fee before you can apply for your visa.
- If you are currently attending a U.S. school in F-1 status and plan to transfer your SEVIS record to KU, you will not be required to pay the SEVIS fee again.
- Learn more about the SEVIS Fee
- Your passport must be valid at least 6 months beyond the date of your arrival into the U.S.
- Learn more about your Passport
- After you have received your I-20/DS-2019, passport and have paid the SEVIS fee, you should begin your visa application process.
- If you are currently attending a U.S. school in F-1 status and plan to transfer your SEVIS record to KU, you will not need to obtain a new visa for KU. As long as your current visa is valid (i.e. not expiring), it will remain valid for use at KU, even if another school’s name is printed on the visa.
- Learn more about your Visa
- Your KU Online ID is different from your KU ID Number. Your online ID gives you access to computers on campus, internet services, online library services, iHawk and the Enroll & Pay system. It is a combination of letters and digits. It looks something like this: z123a765.
- Find out how to set up your KU Online ID
- There is a variety of housing options in Lawrence, both on campus and off campus. It is important to reserve your housing early, especially if you choose to live on campus.
- Learn more about your housing options in Lawrence
- Book your plane tickets! It is important to know your arrival date before you plan your trip.
- Arrange your transportation from the MCI airport to Lawrence.
- Learn about your arrival date and transportation options
1-3 Months Before Arrival
- Get a medical examination and have your doctor fill out the required health forms
- Translate your medical, immunization, and dental records to English to bring with you
- Get any medical check-ups required. Have your eyes and teeth checked and receive any necessary treatment
- Bring any medication in its original package with the prescription in English translation
- Review Requirements for the Mandatory Health Insurance, Health Insurance Benefits, Fees, and Waiver deadline.
- You @ KU" is a week-long orientation program designed to ease your transition in to the United States and the University of Kansas.
- All undergraduate students regardless of their immigration status and all graduate students in F-1 or J-1 status are required to participate in the You @ KU orientation. Visit our Orientation page for details on exemptions.
- Learn more about the You @ KU Orientation
- All new international students must complete important electronic forms (E-forms) in iHawk in order to prepare to arrive to KU.
- You need to scan and upload your immigration documents to iHawk to complete the checklist that applies to you.
- If you do not have a scanner, you may take clear pictures of your documents and upload them.
- Learn more about iHawk and E-form Checklists
- It is a good idea to familiarize yourself with Lawrence and Kansas before you arrive
- We have various resources on our website to help you
- Please visit our Learn About Lawrence section for details
For a printable version of the pre-arrival instructions, please click here.
Disclaimer: Please note that the printable pre-arrival instructions may not be as accurate as the pre-arrival website. Though we try to update the printable pre-arrival instructions often, it may not always be possible to do so. If you discover any differences between the printable version of the instructions and the instructions on the website, please assume that the instructions on the pre-arrival website are correct.